Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Best Washcloth Ever

Hi There,
Today I am blocking Ballband Dishcloths from Peaches & Creme, which were featured in the Mason Dixon Knitting Book written by Kaye Gardiner and Ann Shayne. You can find the pattern at knit a ballband dishcloth.

I love this pattern! The Ballband Dishcloth is truly a classic, tried and true, Good and Faithful! I vaguely recall seeing this pattern on cotton labels when I was a kid back in the 60's and 70's, before I knew there was anything out there besides Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn (I still have some) and giant skeins of acrylic.


I like to make my dischloths with cotton and/or cotton blends.  The blends wear better in my experience.  The pinned ones in the foreground are 100% cotton.  Yes, I block my dishcloths.  They fold better!

The blue/white and the brick/green pictured above were made with Cotton Ease by Lion Brand and a mixed bag of mill ends I picked up at a Michael's store in Myrtle Beach about 5 years ago. I have several of these mill end/cottonease dishcloths in my kitchen drawer right now.  They are used daily.  None have any tears or holes and only recently, after 4 or 5 years of use, are they starting to show any signs of fading!

The creme/green (top right) is also Lion Brand Cotton Ease and I see that it is on sale here.  I may just have to order more.  Anyone ever order from Knitting Warehouse before?  I haven't yet but there's a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee seal at the website which is always promising.

This Ballband Dishcloth pattern has just the right amount of satisfaction and challenge for a good movie knit.  It's a fun way to use up scraps, and makes a truly useful item.  Often, I have given them as gifts and they are always appreciated!


Tops in my book as a Good and Faithful Knit!

Blessings to You and Happy Crafting!
Sandy