Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Yarn Along Wednesday

GOOD MORNING!

Today I am linking up with Ginny's Yarn Along whereby we share our current knitting and reading selections. Thank you Ginny for this opportunity!

Ezekiel and Today's Knitting

Today I began my day finishing up the book of Ezekiel in the New Living Translation Holy Bible by Tyndale.  Although a long compendium of woe and destruction, Ezekiel does show me a clear path toward hope and encouragement, specifically in Chapters 33, 47 and 48.

As a study guide I use a book by Dr. Henrietta C. Mears called What the Bible Is All About.  I am truly enjoying Dr. Mear's book and find it a very useful tool in showing me the thread of truth and continuity throughout the Holy Bible as a whole. And the NLT by Tyndale is an especially "read-able" version, at least for me.
Dr Henrietta C. Mears

As for the knitting, it seems to be my day to be finishing up! I have only 3 rows and a bind off left on my chosen Good and Faithful Knit for today, the 8 Hour Baby Afghan #3 from Plymouth Yarn, P274.

Although this seed and stockinette stitch pattern is part of a booklet, I have seen it sold as individual patterns in my favorite LYS.

 This particular seed stitch version of the 8 Hour Baby Afghan is the only one I have tried and I do go back to it often as I like it quite a bit, not only for its ease of construction, but also because it makes up into an especially fluffy newborn blankie!
8 Hour Baby Afghan from Plymouth

It uses four 200-yard  skeins of Encore Worsted Weight yarn, a 75/25 ratio acrylic/wool, tweed plied worsted, and when knitted in any one of the Drifting Colorways, creates a soft, pallette of colors in an almost plaid-like arrangement. (Give that last link a second, it will come up.) The yarn is held double throughout and worked on a size 13 needle.

I would recommend placing markers between repeats the first time you make an 8 Hour Afghan though, just because it can get a little confusing on the purl side after the first set of row repeats.  Once you establish a habit of reading stitches as you go, however, it all falls into place.

This, by the way, is pretty much the only baby item I can concede to make in pastels.  I tend to gravitate, even for baby items, toward brighter or even earthier tones, like greens or reds. The last baby sweater I knitted was done in teal and rust, at the recipient's request, and the one before that was done in yellows and grays, a popular combination these days.  Speaking of yellow, my first Asiatic Lilly has finally bloomed!

Blessings to You My Good and Faithful Knitters!